Mackinley's Acheivements, Nurse Maid's Elbow & Other Updates
I am just amazed at the amount of firsts and new stuff Mackinley is trying and doing so quickly. July was full of firsts and August has been too! Here are a lot of her firsts in August:
*Aug 5th: 1st bath in kitchen sink
*Aug 10th: 1st accident (falling off bed and got a small scratch by her ear which was gone the next day)
*Aug 11th: Learned to climb out of her bassinett so it was also the 1st night sleeping in her playpen at home
*Aug 13th: 1st night sleeping in crib (with mommy also sleeping in her room too)
*Aug 18th: 1st time crawling (she had been doing the army belly crawl a while but actual crawling up on her hands and knees was the first time)
*Aug 19th: 1st time sitting up by herself with no help or support
*Aug 20th: 1st time eating snacks (puffs, wheels, yogurt bites) & also 1st night sleeping in her own room alone
*Aug 21st: Waves for the first time (but I haven't gotten her to do it again since!)
*Aug 23rd: Pulls herself up standing (outside of the crib)
*Aug 24th: Starts taking steps while standing and holding something
*Aug 28th: 1st time brushing teeth & also 1st big injury needing to be seen by a doctor (Nurse Maid's Elbow, which I will explain soon)
And today is only the 29th! She could add more to that list still this month! She will be 8 months old on the 30th, so that's one more thing at least! Just in the past 2 months she has grown so so much and doing so many new things!
So, the Nurse Maid's Elbow.... Yesterday evening, James and Mackinley were playing in her little pen as we call it. It's a playyard gate thing that is like 6 baby gates attached for her to play in a safe little area. Anyways, I was in the kitchen and doing some things around the house while he was playing with her. Then she just starts crying and crying like she got hurt. James said he was holding her forearms while she was standing up and something made a crack sound, which he said just kinda sounded like a finger crack or something minor, and she started crying. Then we spent the next 20 minutes trying to see what was wrong with her. We thought something might be wrong with her arm because she wouldn't lift it up or reach for anything, and if you tried to move it at all she would cry. We didn't know if it was a sprain, a twisted muscle, a broken bone or what. James said he was not being rough with her, but I was still kind of upset with him because he was the one with her when it happened. So anyways, we discussed whether to let it ride out and see if it got better, or to take her to the hospital or what. We worried about it being something major, we worried about being looked at like we abused her or something, we were scared. But we decided to take her to the Urgent Care, because we knew we would get seen quicker than at the emergency room.
We took her to urgent care and there was only 2 people in front of us, so we got in quickly, within like 10 minutes. Then the dr came in within the next 5 minutes once we were back there. We explained the situation that she was playing with daddy, and James explained how he was holding her arms and we said she was now not moving her arm much and it hurts when you touch it. Then he went over to the table where the paper is at and drew me a diagram of what he suspected was the problem. More like what he was sure was the problem without even messing with Mackinley at all first. He said in the elbow of something older (like children over 5 and adults), there's a bone that looks like it has a nail head on it and there's a ligament underneath the head. He said in babies and children under 5, the head of their bone is still rounded so the ligament can slip off over the bone. He said it can happen easily. Babies can do it to themselves trying to pull themself up or if you lift them by their arm, etc. He said he saw it happen to a little one by a coat being pulled off, and he saw another little one do it playing on the monkey bars. So he told me not to be too tough on James because he probably was not being too rough, it just easily happened.
After the diagram and description of what was wrong, he said there's an easy little trick he can do to pop it back in place. As soon as he said that, I was like... I can't watch. So James held her and I faced the wall. Next thing I know I hear a little pop, and she starts crying. He said she would be fine in 5 minutes. She was fine in about 3 minutes. She started lifting her arm, stopped crying, you could mess with her arm with no pain or crying, she was even pushing with her arm again. So it was a really simple fix. Made her cry for just a couple minutes and then she was fine the rest of the day and so far today. It was really scary though not knowing if it was a broken bone or a torn muscle or what. James swore he wasn't rough with her, but we didn't know what was the matter. I was just happy to find out that it was a simple fix and it's a common problem. Needless to say, I was physically and mentally and emotionally exhausted last night. It was so rough on my nerves.
I don't know that I even wanna blog about this, because I don't want to look bad I guess, but it's on my mind, so if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. If you know me, you know I like entering online contests and sweepstakes. I have won a lot of things through twitter and private blogs. Recently I've been entering a ton of publishers clearing house sweepstakes. I know those are one in a billion shot of winning, but not impossible. I've never really gotten my hopes up for any of those contests, but there was one that just stood out to me. One of these sweepstakes I entered, I had a good feeling about it, I just felt like it was meant for me and my family. I felt it would solve so many of our recent problems. I felt like I had a shot. I'm not gonna go into much detail, but I do know I did not win this one. And I'm bummed. Big time. I just felt like I had a shot, I had a feeling about this one. I guess it wasn't meant to be. But there are a couple other ones that I am starting to get that same feeling about, although it's not quite the same as with this one. I'm not giving up, because if you are familiar with PCH, you know how huge their winnings are, and how life changing it could be for anyone.
I also just wanna add in real quick, that I am so thankful for WIC. We ran out of baby foods and baby cereal for Mackinley for the rest of this month, so we had to purchase some on our own. It's not cheap and I'm thankful we get as much help as we do.
I've got a few more things I could blog about, but Mackinley is up from her nap and this is a long post already, so I'll just talk about it in another post.
*Aug 5th: 1st bath in kitchen sink
*Aug 10th: 1st accident (falling off bed and got a small scratch by her ear which was gone the next day)
*Aug 11th: Learned to climb out of her bassinett so it was also the 1st night sleeping in her playpen at home
*Aug 13th: 1st night sleeping in crib (with mommy also sleeping in her room too)
*Aug 18th: 1st time crawling (she had been doing the army belly crawl a while but actual crawling up on her hands and knees was the first time)
*Aug 19th: 1st time sitting up by herself with no help or support
*Aug 20th: 1st time eating snacks (puffs, wheels, yogurt bites) & also 1st night sleeping in her own room alone
*Aug 21st: Waves for the first time (but I haven't gotten her to do it again since!)
*Aug 23rd: Pulls herself up standing (outside of the crib)
*Aug 24th: Starts taking steps while standing and holding something
*Aug 28th: 1st time brushing teeth & also 1st big injury needing to be seen by a doctor (Nurse Maid's Elbow, which I will explain soon)
And today is only the 29th! She could add more to that list still this month! She will be 8 months old on the 30th, so that's one more thing at least! Just in the past 2 months she has grown so so much and doing so many new things!
So, the Nurse Maid's Elbow.... Yesterday evening, James and Mackinley were playing in her little pen as we call it. It's a playyard gate thing that is like 6 baby gates attached for her to play in a safe little area. Anyways, I was in the kitchen and doing some things around the house while he was playing with her. Then she just starts crying and crying like she got hurt. James said he was holding her forearms while she was standing up and something made a crack sound, which he said just kinda sounded like a finger crack or something minor, and she started crying. Then we spent the next 20 minutes trying to see what was wrong with her. We thought something might be wrong with her arm because she wouldn't lift it up or reach for anything, and if you tried to move it at all she would cry. We didn't know if it was a sprain, a twisted muscle, a broken bone or what. James said he was not being rough with her, but I was still kind of upset with him because he was the one with her when it happened. So anyways, we discussed whether to let it ride out and see if it got better, or to take her to the hospital or what. We worried about it being something major, we worried about being looked at like we abused her or something, we were scared. But we decided to take her to the Urgent Care, because we knew we would get seen quicker than at the emergency room.
We took her to urgent care and there was only 2 people in front of us, so we got in quickly, within like 10 minutes. Then the dr came in within the next 5 minutes once we were back there. We explained the situation that she was playing with daddy, and James explained how he was holding her arms and we said she was now not moving her arm much and it hurts when you touch it. Then he went over to the table where the paper is at and drew me a diagram of what he suspected was the problem. More like what he was sure was the problem without even messing with Mackinley at all first. He said in the elbow of something older (like children over 5 and adults), there's a bone that looks like it has a nail head on it and there's a ligament underneath the head. He said in babies and children under 5, the head of their bone is still rounded so the ligament can slip off over the bone. He said it can happen easily. Babies can do it to themselves trying to pull themself up or if you lift them by their arm, etc. He said he saw it happen to a little one by a coat being pulled off, and he saw another little one do it playing on the monkey bars. So he told me not to be too tough on James because he probably was not being too rough, it just easily happened.
After the diagram and description of what was wrong, he said there's an easy little trick he can do to pop it back in place. As soon as he said that, I was like... I can't watch. So James held her and I faced the wall. Next thing I know I hear a little pop, and she starts crying. He said she would be fine in 5 minutes. She was fine in about 3 minutes. She started lifting her arm, stopped crying, you could mess with her arm with no pain or crying, she was even pushing with her arm again. So it was a really simple fix. Made her cry for just a couple minutes and then she was fine the rest of the day and so far today. It was really scary though not knowing if it was a broken bone or a torn muscle or what. James swore he wasn't rough with her, but we didn't know what was the matter. I was just happy to find out that it was a simple fix and it's a common problem. Needless to say, I was physically and mentally and emotionally exhausted last night. It was so rough on my nerves.
I don't know that I even wanna blog about this, because I don't want to look bad I guess, but it's on my mind, so if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. If you know me, you know I like entering online contests and sweepstakes. I have won a lot of things through twitter and private blogs. Recently I've been entering a ton of publishers clearing house sweepstakes. I know those are one in a billion shot of winning, but not impossible. I've never really gotten my hopes up for any of those contests, but there was one that just stood out to me. One of these sweepstakes I entered, I had a good feeling about it, I just felt like it was meant for me and my family. I felt it would solve so many of our recent problems. I felt like I had a shot. I'm not gonna go into much detail, but I do know I did not win this one. And I'm bummed. Big time. I just felt like I had a shot, I had a feeling about this one. I guess it wasn't meant to be. But there are a couple other ones that I am starting to get that same feeling about, although it's not quite the same as with this one. I'm not giving up, because if you are familiar with PCH, you know how huge their winnings are, and how life changing it could be for anyone.
I also just wanna add in real quick, that I am so thankful for WIC. We ran out of baby foods and baby cereal for Mackinley for the rest of this month, so we had to purchase some on our own. It's not cheap and I'm thankful we get as much help as we do.
I've got a few more things I could blog about, but Mackinley is up from her nap and this is a long post already, so I'll just talk about it in another post.
Comments
Post a Comment