Doctor's Appointment & Hospital Visit

So this post will be all about the craziness that came of yesterday's visit to the doctor that ended in a hospital visit, all the while James was sick.

As I mentioned in my 38 week post, James came home from work sick yesterday morning. He had a stomach ache, he threw up at work, and his back was bothering him. So he came home, and went right to bed.

Around noon I woke him up to see how he was feeling and see if he was gonna get up and go to my doctors appointment with me. Thankfully he felt better enough to go with me.

My appointment was at 1:15, and we got called back pretty much right after we got there. But that happens all the time. They seem to call me back pretty quickly. Well I went back and did the normal. Got my blood pressure checked and it was 158/92. High. But the nurse used the smaller cuff (they usually keep a smaller and a bigger cuff in each room, and usually the small one because it's so freaking tight on my fat arm, always gives a high number). And I told her that most nurses usually take it a second time and it's fine, or have me lay on my side and take it again and it's better or whatever. But she just pretty much said okay, and left it as that. So whatever. I figured I'd get some crap from the doctor for it, but thought that since I went through the urine test and blood test and all that and showed no pre-eclampsia, that it would be no problem. Then I got weighed, and seriously it was weird, because I was up only one pound from thursdays appointment. And I don't understand it, because I was showing I was up like 3 or 4 pounds during that time. Oh well, I'm not complaining! Then I did my normal peeing in a cup too.

So then I get undressed and wait in the room for the doctor. For seriously more than half an hour, with no freaking pants on. It NEVER takes that long for the doctor to come in. So that started me being upset, and also because James started feeling yucky again and I knew he was miserable. I felt so bad for him sitting there suffering waiting on the doctor.

When the doctor came in, she measured me, then checked the babies heartbeat and said it was fine (but didn't say what it was). Then she did my pelvic exam. Last week, the doctor warned me she had small hands and was usually the most painful when getting a pelvic check. This doctor was different than last week, but SOOOO much more painful checking me. She didn't seem very gentle at all. And I actually started spotting after her checking me. But unfortunately I was only 1cm dilated and still only 50% thinned. So there was the second thing that started getting me more upset, because I had worked hard all weekend walking and trying to get at least dilated a little more than I was, but no, I was the same.

So after that, she starts discussing my blood pressure and said she wanted me to go to the hospital and get blood drawn, and then start another 24 hour urine collection. I was pissed by this point. I thought doing it once was good enough, and showed I didn't have pre-eclampsia, just that it was high blood pressure. So I mentioned to her about the nurse only taking it once and usually if it's taken again it's better. So she told me to lay on my side and the nurse would come take it again, BUT that it wouldn't really matter, she still wanted me to go to the hospital. So I was pretty pissed, and about in tears, so I knew when the nurse came back in that my blood pressure was not going to be any better. It was, but wasn't good enough. It was 142/92. So I wanted to double check with the doctor what I should be doing, I said I go to the lab downstairs where I dropped off my urine before and got blood taken and she said no, I had to go to the labor and delivery floor and stay there waiting on my results and get the baby monitored the whole time and my blood pressure taken every 15 minutes. Great. Something else to piss me off.

We headed straight over to the hospital then and up to the labor and delivery floor. We went in and I signed in, but then they had me go back out in the waiting room. For like 15-20 minutes. Again, just upsetting me more. When a nurse finally came and got me, she took me to a delivery room. When we had our maternity tour, there was one room that had 3 beds, and we were told that if we came in (not in labor) just for tests or pains or we weren't sure if we were in labor, that we would be put in that room, but no, they put me in a private delivery room. Okay, fine, whatever, at least I didn't have to share a room with anyone. Then she had me put on one of those belly things, it's almost like a tube top for your belly that they use at the hospital to hold on the monitors. Thankfully I was able to keep my clothes on.

So she had me lay on the bed, on my left side, she put a contraction monitor on, a heartrate monitor for the baby, and a blood pressure cuff. Then she asked me lots of questions, and another nurse took over, asked me the same freaking questions again, and then she left. She did say though something about they found protein in my urine on 12/8, and that is the day I turned in my 24 hour urine collection and was told the results came back fine, so I don't quite understand where information is getting mixed up at. By this point, we had been there about an hour, and they still hadn't taken my blood samples. So I lay there on my left side, blood pressure being taken every 15 minutes, and just lay there. While poor James is so cold, uncomfortable, hungry, and sick sitting over in the chair waiting, and waiting and waiting.

Finally they came in and took my blood, FOUR vials of it! I only had to have one when I came before to drop off my urine. I asked the lab person who took it, how long it would take to get the results back and she said probably about a half hour. I'm like, okay, we can wait a half hour and get out of here. So I lay there more, same things going on, and they bring me some ice water because apparently the baby is too sleepy or something? But then after that, I swear she didn't stop moving. They came in about 3 or 4 times to readjust my heartrate monitor because she kept moving around and they weren't getting it well.

It had been about a half hour after the lady took my blood and a nurse came in to check on me and I asked her how much longer. She said all the test results had come back except for one they were waiting on. Okay fine, hopefully soon. James just started feeling sicker with each passing few minutes, and he had not really eaten anything and was so hungry and not feeling good at all. I was started to get really hungry because I hadn't eaten since like 9am, and this was around 4pm. And to top it all off, I had been on my left side for like more than an hour and my left hip was KILLING me. I finally asked the nurse if I could reposition, and I was able to lay on my back. Felt so much better.... for a few minutes, then things started hurting again, my back, my hip, my other hip, etc. Those beds are HORRIBLY uncomfortable. I thought they would feel nice since the women who are in them are in labor and uncomfortable and in pain anyways, would need a comfortable bed. But nope. Maybe in labor they feel better, but yesterday it did not. I was also starting to feel a lot of tightness and cramping in my belly from laying still so long, not having eaten in a while and so on. I was wondering if I was having contractions, but they were monitoring me, and never said anything about it, so I don't think so.

So finally they came in and said my bloodwork all came back fine, of course, and they unhooked me from all the machines and gave me my stuff for my 24 hour urine collection. Again, that sucks, but I was at least thankful to get out of that bed and go home, I didn't care if I needed to get up all night to collect my urine and so on. I started that this morning, and will finish up tomorrow morning, and then I've gotta take it in tomorrow. Anyways, I was able to then sign papers and get out of there. After about 3 hours. We were there for about 3 hours.

We were both miserable leaving there, tired, and starving, so we stopped to get some food. But of course the drive through just gave us more problems. It was one of those with 2 places to order, but not seperate lanes, they were both in the same lane. So we pull up to the second one and it says pull forward. Well we pull forward and can't get quite to the first one, so we have to wait forever for the line to move. Then when we finally get up there, no one asks for our order yet, but we hear the one behind us taking their order. So we sit there and sit there forever, with a line of probably 5 cars at least that I could see behind us, before they finally ask for our order. We knew what we wanted so it was a quick order, and then on around the corner. The line was cleared out except one car by that point. So we get up to the window to get food pretty quickly, but they have us pull forward because we had to wait on one sandwich. Great, just more to hold us up on our horrible day. So we pull up and wait and wait and wait and wait, and finally James goes inside. They are just bagging up our stuff so he gets it, and they give him a free hot chocolate too, so that made him a little happier.

So it was a LONNNNGGGGG day yesterday. I wanted Mackinley to come yesterday, but not the way I almost got her. Pissed off, and almost needing to be induced. Not the way I wanted her, so thankfully it wasn't her time yet. So I have another appointment next week, the day after Christmas. Unless of course Mackinley comes on her own before then, or if they call with bad results from my urine collection. But I doubt that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?