Cheeseburger Tator Tot Casserole Recipe



I found this recipe on My Fitness Pal, and was just posted by a member. I didn't change much at all in the recipe, but will make notes of what I did change. I take no credit for this recipe, I just found it and tried it out.

You're supposed to cook it in 4 ramekins, but I did not have any, so I just used one large 13x9 baking pan. I think next time I may try it in a glass pie pan instead, so that the ingredients are not so spread out.

You Will Need:
-8 oz ground turkey (I used 10 oz because that was half my package)
-1/4 cup onion, minced (mine was more considered chopped)
-1 tbsp garlic, minced (I used aldi's jarred minced garlic in olive oil)
-1/2 can small peas, drained and rinsed (forgot to rinse mine, so I'm not sure what difference it made)
-2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese (I had thought about substituting just cream cheese for this, but decided to leave it out completely and doubled the other cheese instead)
-1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2/3 cup reduced fat fiesta blend shredded cheese)
-16 hamburger style dill pickle slices
-2 tbsp ketchup
-4 tsp mustard
-36ish tator tots

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Brown turkey in a skillet with garlic and onion. Drain. Add peas and set aside. (I did not add the peas to the turkey mixture, I just put them straight into the baking dish.)
-In a small bowl, mash together cheese wedges and cheddar. (I did not do this step of course since I did not use the wedges.)
-Put a layer of 4 pickle slices in the bottom of each ramekin. (For me, I put all 16 in the bottom of the pan.)
-Divide the meat/peas into the four ramekins on top of the pickles. (Or for me, just pour it evenly over the pickles in the large pan.)
-Next layer the cheese mix. (For me, I just evenly sprinkled all the shredded cheese over the top.)
-Next add 1/2 tbsp ketchup and 1 tsp of mustard on each ramekin. (Or for me, I just evenly squirted it over the top of the whole dish.)
-Top with a layer of tator tots, about 9 each. (I counted out the 36 and spread them evenly over the whole dish. It did not cover the whole dish as it should, but if I added more it would only add more calories, so I just did the 36.)
-Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.



-Bake 20 minutes.

This recipe was pretty good. Doesn't look good at all, but tastes pretty good. It's not a favorite, but it's definitely better than a few we have tried. It's definitely a different type of dish. But still yummy.

If you split the recipe into 4 and use the exact ingredients I did, it's 381 per serving. Somewhat on the high side, but not bad. James and I each had a serving and a half which filled us enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?