Garden Taco Salad Recipe



We edited this recipe quite a bit to make it our own, so you can go with whatever suits you. I will put the whole original recipe, and notes on what all we changed. We also prepared it kind of different. It turned out really good though. I hope you enjoy!

You Will Need:
-4 cups mixed green lettuce
-1 red, yellow or orange pepper, sliced (We used a yellow pepper and we chunked it up or diced it up, not sliced.)
-1/2 cup sweet purple onion, sliced (We used yellow onion and diced it up, not sliced.)
-1/2 cup kidney beans, canned and drained
-8 oz lean ground longhorn, buffalo, or beef, 93% lean or higher (We used ground turkey instead that was 50% leaner than beef, at 460 calories I think for all 8 oz.)
-1 package taco seasoning (We ended up only using half a package, and I recommend that for you, because one package taco seasoning is supposed to be for a whole pound of meat.)
-1/2 cup whole kernel mexican style corn, drained (We created our own mexican style corn. We put a can of regular corn, drained, in a pan with a can of original rotel tomatoes, NOT drained and simmered them together until they were hot.)
-4 whole roma tomatoes, cut into wedges (Since we used the rotel in the corn, we completely cut out the tomatoes.)

**The next three ingredients we used as a topping (I'll explain all that below), instead of mixing it in.**

-1/4 cup low fat cheddar or monterrey jack cheese, shredded (We used 1/3 cup fiesta blend shredded cheese for EACH serving, so technically you would need 1 1/3 cup cheese.)
-1/2 cup chunky style garden salsa, mild or spicy (We used aldi brand mild salsa, 2 tablespoons per serving which ends up 1/2 cup total!)
-1/2 cup lowfat sour cream (Which is 2 tablespoons per serving)

Original Directions:
-Brown meat in pan, pour off any fat, mix in taco seasoning and set aside.
-Slice peppers, onions, and tomatoes and toss with lettuce.
-Add kidney beans and corn to salad mixture. Chill.
-Top with salsa, cheese, sour cream, and hamburger. Serve with baked tortilla chips

MY DIRECTIONS: (I suggest using my directions because it turned out really good)
-Brown the meat in a pan, pour off any fat, mix in taco seasoning and set aside.
-Dice peppers and onions.
-Use one cup of lettuce and put in each bowl/plate (making four bowls of food, or four servings), then split up the peppers and onions into the four bowls also. Add 1/8 cup of kidney beans to each bowl.
-Drain the can of corn, put in a pan, add the can of rotel tomatoes undrained, then simmer on the stove for about 10-15 minutes or until it's boiling and warm.
-Split the corn/rotel mixture into four, and put in each bowl on top of the lettuce/veggie/bean mixture.
-Split the meat into four, and put in each bowl on top of the corn/rotel/lettuce/veggie/bean mixture.
*At this point if you used exactly what I used it should be about 243 calories per serving.*
-At the table, add the toppings as you would like. We used 1/3 cup of the cheese, 2 tablespoons of the sour cream, and 2 tablespoons of salsa to the top and enjoy!
*If you use the exact amount and brand of cheese, sour cream and salsa I use that should bring the total calories up to 403 for one serving.*

I don't think I would have enjoyed this recipe if I made it exactly as the recipe called for. With our own creations and tweaking it was really good and one serving was filling enough! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?