Mexican Crockpot Chicken Recipe

I found this recipe on a forum post from a member, so their directions were not necessarily clear and measured, so I guessed and experimented and it turned out very well. Below is MY version of the recipe, but the original idea did not come from me personally. Experiment, change amounts, make it your own.
You Will Need:
-3 chicken breasts
-2 cups salsa (I used plain mild, but you can try something else. Also, 2 cups is almost a whole jar.)
-1 can corn
-1 can kidney beans (In the original recipe it said you can use whatever beans you prefer)
-1 block cream cheese (I used Fit & Active Neufchatel Cheese, because it's less on calories)
Directions:
-In a crockpot, put the chicken breasts on bottom. Stab with a fork (to let the flavor get in them good) and spice as desired. I used salt, pepper, onion powder, and maybe about a teaspoon of minced garlic from a jar.
-Add salsa, corn, and beans.
-Cook for as long as desired, preferably on low if you're leaving it go all day while you're at work, which for me was about 6 hours total.
-Shortly before serving (mine was about an hour and a half before), remove chicken breasts and shred up, then add back to the mixture. Stir well. I did not stir a whole ton to begin with, because I wanted the salsa mixture on top of the chicken.
-About 30 minutes before serving, add the block of cream cheese, then stir it in good once it's melted enough. Only takes about 10-15 minutes to melt good.
-Serve however you wish. It's good plain, it's AMAZING in a tortilla, and would be so so yummy as a dip for tortilla chips. In the original recipe, they also said you could eat it over rice, but I don't think it would be as good that way.
I ended up with about 5 & 2/3 cups of mixture, which made it about 320 calories per cup.
We put about a half cup on a tortilla and wrapped it up. We also tried it with lettuce in the wrap, but it was just as good plain. I highly recommend this recipe. It was DELICIOUS!
PS: I realize the picture (and in person) this does not look appetizing, but it really is good. It smells delicious in the house all day, and tastes much better than it looks. Please get past the appearance and you will be pleasantly suprised!
Comments
Post a Comment