Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe



I found this recipe on Cooking Light/My Recipes. It was definitely yummy, however I would have changed a few things if I did it again, and I will make note of that below. It's not an amazing casserole or anything, but it's not bad. The link to the original recipe is below.

Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Casserole

You Will Need:
-Cooking Spray
-12 oz turkey breakfast sausauge (I could not find turkey, or regular, so I ended up with maple sausage, if I had found regular sausages, I would not have wanted to change the recipe much)
-2 cups milk
-2 cups egg substitute (I used fit and active)
-1 teaspoon dry mustard
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-3 large eggs
-16 slices white bread
-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I think I used mild cheddar and I used reduced fat)
-1/4 teaspoon paprika (Since I used maple sausage, I probably would have changed this to cinnamon. The paprika just did not go well with the maple sausage. I would have preferred a sweeter casserole.)

Directions:
-Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray. Add the sausage and cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking it to crumble. Remove from the heat and cool.
-Combine the milk and next 6 ingredients, (up through the egg, but stop at the bread, don't put the bread in), in a large bowl with a whisk.
-Trim crusts from the bread. (I did not trim the crust, I left it on). Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes. Add the bread, sausage, and shredded cheese to the milk mixture. Stir it to combine it. Pour into a 13x9 pan sprayed with cooking spray, and spread evenly. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. (We did refrigerate ours, so I can't say how it would turn out if you don't refrigerate for a while).
-Remove the casserole 30 minutes before you plan to bake it. Sprinkle evenly with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes.



This recipe I think smelled better than it tasted. But I think I smelled the maple sausage in it and was expecting more of a sweeter tasting casserole and it was not. So I don't suggest using the maple sausage unless you maybe leave off the cheese, paprika and dry mustard.

This recipe came out to be 366 calories for an eighth of a 13x9 pan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?