Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe



I found this recipe on Cooking Light/My Recipes. To visit the original recipe, use the link below. I will post all my changes I made down below!

Cooking Light/My Recipes Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe

You Will Need:
-3 quarts water (I did not use this, and I will tell why below)
-1 (12 ounce) package broccoli florets
-4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I hate guessing at chicken weights and amounts and so on, I think I ended up with about a cup and a half of of chopped cooked chicken breast)
-1 (12 ounce) can fat free evaporated milk
-1/4 cup all purpose flour
-1/4 tsp salt (I didn't measure)
-1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (I didn't measure)
-Dash of nutmeg
-1 cup fat free mayonnaise (I used light, not fat free)
-1/2 cup fat free sour cream (I used light, not fat free)
-1/4 cup dry sherry (I did not use at all, because I didn't have any)
-1 tsp worcestershire sauce
-1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed reduced sodium fat free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I used fit and active fat free cream of mushroom, not reduced sodium)
-1 cup parmesan cheese, divided (I only used a half cup, and made a substitution, I'll explain below)
-Cooking spray

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400.
-Bring water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, and cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer broccoli to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. (So here's the change. My broccoli was in a steamable microwavable bag, so I just popped it in the microwave to cook, and did not boil it in a pan, then just dumped it in a large bowl.)



-Add chicken to boiling water; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until done. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cool slightly. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, and add chicken to bowl with broccoli. (Another change, I had my husband chop up the chicken into tiny pieces, then I sauteed them in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. I did not cook them long enough to brown, just to cook through, then transferred them to the bowl with the broccoli.





-Combine evaporated milk, flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.



-Add mayo, sour cream, sherry, worcestershire sauce, soup, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese. Stirring until well combined.



-Add mayo mixture to the broccoli and chicken. Stir gently until combined.



-Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.



-Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. (At this point I ran out of parmesan cheese, so instead of using the parmesan cheese, I used 1/2 cup of reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, which also reduced the calories in the recipe some, and so much more yummy than parmesan on top.)
-Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until mixture bubbles and cheese begins to brown. (I only ended up baking about 35-40 minutes.) Remove from oven, let cool on wire rack 5 minutes.

I split the pan up into 8 servings, each one only 249 calories a piece.

This recipe was absolutely delicious. Creamy, filling, cheesy, so yummy. Only thing we decided that we might change, is to add some onion and maybe garlic. I definitely recommend you try this. The only downside, is that it took me almost 40 minutes to prepare the dish, before even baking it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?