Spinach Gratin Recipe



I found this recipe on Skinny Taste. To visit the original recipe, visit the link below. I will post my changes as always, below.

Skinny Taste Spinach Gratin Recipe

You Will Need:
-3 tbsp light butter (I just used regular margarine, not light)
-1 cup finely chopped onion
-1/4 cup flour
-1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (I didn't use fresh, just some from a spice container, bought from a shelf)
-3 cups 2% milk (I used 2%, but you can probably use 1% or skim or whatever you use)
-3 lbs frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
-3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
-1 tbsp kosher salt (I just used sea salt, and didn't measure)
-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (Again, didn't measure)
-1/2 cup shredded swiss gruyere cheese (I didn't know what gruyere cheese was, so I just used walmart brand plain shredded swiss)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 425.
-In a heavy bottomed saute pan (I used just a large pot), melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 10-12 minutes. (Mine were done in about 7-8 minutes.)
-Add the flour and nutmeg and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I did not cook quite 2 minutes because all my butter was dried up and it all just seemed to be burning.)
-Add the milk and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. (Again, my milk thickened quickly and was starting to scorch, so it only cooked about 3-4 minutes.)
-Squeeze as much liquid from the spinach (not easy) and add to the sauce.
-Add 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Transfer to a large baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the shredded swiss.



-Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.

I split the dish into 12 servings, each were 139 calories.



I tried this recipe out, hoping it would turn out good and I was going to make it for thanksgiving. My husband and I enjoyed it, and I sent leftovers to some of my family to try and they also enjoyed it. So I will be making it for thanksgiving!

Only things we would change, besides adding more cheese to the top (which will unfortunately change the calorie content and make it not so healthy anymore), is to add some garlic to the onions when we saute it, and to add more salt. It definitely needed more salt.

Comments

  1. Spinach and cheese are soul mates me thinks =)

    Yum! I agree about the garlic and onions too. They make everything better.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?