Breastfeeding Class
Last night was our third class we've taken. Our breastfeeding class. It was $20 for the couple. It's a 2 hour class. We had a different teacher than the other classes we have taken. The lady who taught our other classes, teaches them all except for this one. With taking this class, we are supposed to be given a free breast pump when we are discharged from the hospital to take home. That's the main reason I wanted to take this class.
We went in assuming it would be like the other classes that only had 8-10 people, but this was a very large class. Probably around 20-30 people/couples.
It was also a very boring class compared to the others we have taken. Lots of information, lots of the teacher talking and going into detail on every subject. It was informative, but boring. And there wasn't much hands on stuff. James and the other men and support people got to demonstrate with the baby how to wake up baby and make them alert, by holding them a certain way, undressing them, and rubbing their back. Then me and the other women got to demonstrate all the breastfeeding positions. That was all the hands on there was.
I really did not learn a lot, but I did learn a couple things. Most of the information was stuff I already read in my handouts/books, or stuff I had previously learned about, or stuff that was pretty much common sense. A couple things I did learn is:
*They are more intent on you doing breast massage before feeding each time, to release the milk down so the baby doesn't have to work so hard for it, because they lose interest too quickly.
*You may have to cut out a lot of dairy when breastfeeding because a lot of newborns have a tough time digesting dairy products through breast milk. I just hope if this is the case for me, that my cereal craving goes away, because I have eaten so much cereal and milk this pregnancy, it's not even funny. And of course I love cheeses, so that will be difficult.
They also informed us that it's not just attending the class that will get you the breastpump when leaving the hospital. You also have to have a certain paper signed from your doctors office, which I already have. And then at the hospital during your stay, you have to accept the help and teaching of the nurses and lactation consultants, and you have to watch a review video about breastfeeding. Which those are no big deal to me. I would probably accept the help whether or not it involved a breast pump.
There was no getting out of this class early. It ran over about 10 minutes. And she taught the WHOLE time, except for a short break for us to use the bathroom and stretch our legs in the middle.
We received while there, some snacks if we wanted, and we got a folder of breastfeeding information, and a magnet to hang on the fridge to put a lactation consultants number on.
I'm glad that class is done. On one hand it was boring and pointless (almost), but the big reason I took it was for the breast pump, so I can sit through a boring class to get that. But that's one more class down, and only one more class and a maternity tour to go. Our next class won't be until the middle of november, and it's a two part two week class, so we have to go two mondays in a row. It's the childbirth class. Once I get to that class I will also do a seperate blog post about part one, and then another about part two. I may do a post about the maternity tour, but I'm not sure. Just may mention it in my normal weekly post. So the next post going up should be my 31 week post on monday.
We went in assuming it would be like the other classes that only had 8-10 people, but this was a very large class. Probably around 20-30 people/couples.
It was also a very boring class compared to the others we have taken. Lots of information, lots of the teacher talking and going into detail on every subject. It was informative, but boring. And there wasn't much hands on stuff. James and the other men and support people got to demonstrate with the baby how to wake up baby and make them alert, by holding them a certain way, undressing them, and rubbing their back. Then me and the other women got to demonstrate all the breastfeeding positions. That was all the hands on there was.
I really did not learn a lot, but I did learn a couple things. Most of the information was stuff I already read in my handouts/books, or stuff I had previously learned about, or stuff that was pretty much common sense. A couple things I did learn is:
*They are more intent on you doing breast massage before feeding each time, to release the milk down so the baby doesn't have to work so hard for it, because they lose interest too quickly.
*You may have to cut out a lot of dairy when breastfeeding because a lot of newborns have a tough time digesting dairy products through breast milk. I just hope if this is the case for me, that my cereal craving goes away, because I have eaten so much cereal and milk this pregnancy, it's not even funny. And of course I love cheeses, so that will be difficult.
They also informed us that it's not just attending the class that will get you the breastpump when leaving the hospital. You also have to have a certain paper signed from your doctors office, which I already have. And then at the hospital during your stay, you have to accept the help and teaching of the nurses and lactation consultants, and you have to watch a review video about breastfeeding. Which those are no big deal to me. I would probably accept the help whether or not it involved a breast pump.
There was no getting out of this class early. It ran over about 10 minutes. And she taught the WHOLE time, except for a short break for us to use the bathroom and stretch our legs in the middle.
We received while there, some snacks if we wanted, and we got a folder of breastfeeding information, and a magnet to hang on the fridge to put a lactation consultants number on.
I'm glad that class is done. On one hand it was boring and pointless (almost), but the big reason I took it was for the breast pump, so I can sit through a boring class to get that. But that's one more class down, and only one more class and a maternity tour to go. Our next class won't be until the middle of november, and it's a two part two week class, so we have to go two mondays in a row. It's the childbirth class. Once I get to that class I will also do a seperate blog post about part one, and then another about part two. I may do a post about the maternity tour, but I'm not sure. Just may mention it in my normal weekly post. So the next post going up should be my 31 week post on monday.
Comments
Post a Comment