CPR Class
Last night was our first prenatal class. It was a CPR class. $5 per person. James already knows it all, but I didn't want to take the class alone so he went ahead and did it with me. It's an infant and child CPR class though, not for adult CPR. It was mainly infant, although child CPR is very similar and she did tell us the difference, but the whole time mainly we focused on infants.
So after getting there, we go in the main entrance to the hospital, not knowing where to go, there's no signs saying auditorium (which is where the class is supposed to be), and no one at the receptionist/help desk. But there is a phone to pick up if you need help, so James did that, and the lady said go all the way to the back and take a left, then a right. Well that ended us up near radiology and we still didn't know where we were going. Still no signs for auditorium. So we asked one of the people in the radiology department, and she said she would show us. She took us back to where we came and said we should have taken the first left, not the second. Then she got us there and said, oh you said auditorium. These are conference rooms A & B (which is good to know too because we have all our other classes there). So she took us back out to the main lobby and put us in the elevator to go down a floor and it was to the slight left and then a slight right. Once we found it there was only 2 other people waiting there, OUTSIDE of the auditorium saying no one was in there. So I was like, GREAT, we still haven't found where we need to go. But then a nurse finally came around the corner and let us in. All I can say is I'm glad we got there early!!!!!
The class was very small. There was James and I, an older couple learning CPR for their grandkids, and then another pregnant woman and her mom. So 4 plus us, plus one teacher. The teacher was really nice. She works on the maternity floor, and apparently teaches just about all the classes. So we will most likely be seeing her again. And to be honest, when I think of an "auditorium" I think of like a school auditorium. This auditorium was nothing like I pictured. It was a small room with a tiny stage and maybe 10 tables to sit 4 people each. But I kind of enjoyed the small class, especially since we actually had to DO the CPR on baby dummies. Less people to watch and make me feel uncomfortable. Haha.
So she passed out a baby dummy for each person and had one for herself. Then she showed us each of the moves that would be in the video we had to watch and demonstrate. She showed us the correct way(s) to do chest compressions on a baby, and how to know when it's working correctly by the lights on the dummy. Then showed us how to blow and inflate the lungs properly. Then how to hold a choking baby and where to hit them, and how to flip them and do chest compressions.
Then we had to watch a video and follow along and do what they were showing in the video. More chest compressions, breaths, and the choking procedure. The video was about 20 minutes long.
After the video, she answered any questions and showed us the difference between infant and child cpr. Then we had to fill out a short paper just answering if the class was helpful and how well the teacher helped. Then paid for our class, wiped off our baby dummies with antibacterial wipes, and we were done. We got out of there about 15 minutes earlier than we were supposed to.
The class was not a certification class, it was more to show the basics of cpr and choking. You can take a cpr certification class at the hospital, but this was enough for me.
At first I wwas pretty uncomfortable doing the breathing and things on the baby with everyone else around, but everyone seemed to be paying attention to themselves and the older couple was really into learning. So I didn't feel too bad or weird after a few minutes. Just took me a couple minutes to warm up. James of course was fine because he's done this many times! Haha.
On the way home, I got a more thorough explanation of things. How to do a two person cpr, how she didn't explain the three steps to checking if an infant needs cpr, and much more. James seemed a little disappointed that she didn't go into more detail, but I tried to explain to him it was just a basic class, not the full class with all the details. If we took the certification class I'm sure they would tell all those things. He even said that his boss would probably let him bring home a baby dummy if I wanna practice some more. Haha. We were also given a booklet with all the cpr and choking information for infants, children and adults. James said I should read through it and he would help explain anything I didn't understand. Haha. I thought he would find this class way boring and easy because he's used to it, but he seemed kind of excited that he felt he knew just as much as the teacher and that he can teach me something. I told him he probably won't be that excited and talkative after all the other classes! It's nice to see though how much James really knows. It makes me comfortable that if something would happen while he's home, that he's more than capable to take care of it. I just have to make sure I know what I'm doing for when he's not home.
So that was our first class. Easy, simple, successful. Our next class we will have is next tuesday and it's our newborn basics class teaching the basics of newborn care and growth and safety. It's 2 and a half hours. Next week will probably be our most stressful, crazy, sleepy, busy week we have had, and will have, probably until Mackinley arrives. 2 classes, a WIC appointment, and a doctors appointment, all next week!
So after getting there, we go in the main entrance to the hospital, not knowing where to go, there's no signs saying auditorium (which is where the class is supposed to be), and no one at the receptionist/help desk. But there is a phone to pick up if you need help, so James did that, and the lady said go all the way to the back and take a left, then a right. Well that ended us up near radiology and we still didn't know where we were going. Still no signs for auditorium. So we asked one of the people in the radiology department, and she said she would show us. She took us back to where we came and said we should have taken the first left, not the second. Then she got us there and said, oh you said auditorium. These are conference rooms A & B (which is good to know too because we have all our other classes there). So she took us back out to the main lobby and put us in the elevator to go down a floor and it was to the slight left and then a slight right. Once we found it there was only 2 other people waiting there, OUTSIDE of the auditorium saying no one was in there. So I was like, GREAT, we still haven't found where we need to go. But then a nurse finally came around the corner and let us in. All I can say is I'm glad we got there early!!!!!
The class was very small. There was James and I, an older couple learning CPR for their grandkids, and then another pregnant woman and her mom. So 4 plus us, plus one teacher. The teacher was really nice. She works on the maternity floor, and apparently teaches just about all the classes. So we will most likely be seeing her again. And to be honest, when I think of an "auditorium" I think of like a school auditorium. This auditorium was nothing like I pictured. It was a small room with a tiny stage and maybe 10 tables to sit 4 people each. But I kind of enjoyed the small class, especially since we actually had to DO the CPR on baby dummies. Less people to watch and make me feel uncomfortable. Haha.
So she passed out a baby dummy for each person and had one for herself. Then she showed us each of the moves that would be in the video we had to watch and demonstrate. She showed us the correct way(s) to do chest compressions on a baby, and how to know when it's working correctly by the lights on the dummy. Then showed us how to blow and inflate the lungs properly. Then how to hold a choking baby and where to hit them, and how to flip them and do chest compressions.
Then we had to watch a video and follow along and do what they were showing in the video. More chest compressions, breaths, and the choking procedure. The video was about 20 minutes long.
After the video, she answered any questions and showed us the difference between infant and child cpr. Then we had to fill out a short paper just answering if the class was helpful and how well the teacher helped. Then paid for our class, wiped off our baby dummies with antibacterial wipes, and we were done. We got out of there about 15 minutes earlier than we were supposed to.
The class was not a certification class, it was more to show the basics of cpr and choking. You can take a cpr certification class at the hospital, but this was enough for me.
At first I wwas pretty uncomfortable doing the breathing and things on the baby with everyone else around, but everyone seemed to be paying attention to themselves and the older couple was really into learning. So I didn't feel too bad or weird after a few minutes. Just took me a couple minutes to warm up. James of course was fine because he's done this many times! Haha.
On the way home, I got a more thorough explanation of things. How to do a two person cpr, how she didn't explain the three steps to checking if an infant needs cpr, and much more. James seemed a little disappointed that she didn't go into more detail, but I tried to explain to him it was just a basic class, not the full class with all the details. If we took the certification class I'm sure they would tell all those things. He even said that his boss would probably let him bring home a baby dummy if I wanna practice some more. Haha. We were also given a booklet with all the cpr and choking information for infants, children and adults. James said I should read through it and he would help explain anything I didn't understand. Haha. I thought he would find this class way boring and easy because he's used to it, but he seemed kind of excited that he felt he knew just as much as the teacher and that he can teach me something. I told him he probably won't be that excited and talkative after all the other classes! It's nice to see though how much James really knows. It makes me comfortable that if something would happen while he's home, that he's more than capable to take care of it. I just have to make sure I know what I'm doing for when he's not home.
So that was our first class. Easy, simple, successful. Our next class we will have is next tuesday and it's our newborn basics class teaching the basics of newborn care and growth and safety. It's 2 and a half hours. Next week will probably be our most stressful, crazy, sleepy, busy week we have had, and will have, probably until Mackinley arrives. 2 classes, a WIC appointment, and a doctors appointment, all next week!
Comments
Post a Comment