Mexican Skillet Casserole Recipe


I found this recipe on My Recipes/Cooking Light. Here is the link to the original recipe.

Mexican Skillet Casserole

You Will Need:
-2 teaspoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
-1.75 cup chopped onion (I used about a half a large onion)
-4 garlic cloves, minced (I buy jars of minced garlic and used about 2-3 tablespoons)
-1 lb ground round (I used fit and active lean hamburger)
-2 tablespoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon cumin (I left this out because I don't have any)
-3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I just added some salt and pepper, no measuring)
-1.75 cups hot cooked long grain white rice (I used the quick cook white rice and ended up with about 2.5 cups)
-1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (I used a can of mild rotel)
-1 (15 oz) can black beans
-2 ounces shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, about 1/2 cup
-Tortilla chips or tortilla wraps, along with any taco toppings you may want, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, extra cheese, etc, for serving.

Directions:
-Cook your rice and set off to the side keeping it warm.
-Heat a large skillet (I used a big pan instead, it's easier to stir with the higher sides) over medium-high heat. Add the oil and saute the onions and garlic about 3 minutes.


-Add the hamburger and cook until browned. Crumble as you cook it. Drain off the grease.


-Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and salt.
-Add the rice, tomatoes and beans. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes or until heated thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
-Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and remove from heat. Let sit about 1 minute to melt. (I left this step off, we just put cheese on our own tacos/chips ourselves).
-Serve with tortilla chips and maybe make a taco salad out of it. Or serve on tortillas with lettuce and any other toppings you like. I made burritos out of mine, adding sour cream, lettuce, salsa, and shredded cheese. James had both burrito and he made a taco salad with chips.

This recipe was pretty good. I think for my taste it was a little bland. I think instead of, or even just in addition to the spices it calls for, I would add a little taco seasoning. Maybe a third to a half a package. It would give it a little more flavor. I also thought the tomatoes didn't really go far. I would have probably added another can for a little more flavor and so you get more tomato in it.

I was also suprised that it actually made the amount it did. By the picture on the website, it just doesn't really seem like a ton. But I had a really good amount. I made 3 burritos and James had a burrito and a big taco salad and I don't think we even ate quite half of the recipe. I've got a big bowl of it for leftovers.

I think we may make this again, we may not. It almost seems simple enough to just make some hamburger, beans and rice themselves and have tacos, but it was not bad mixed together. If I do make it again I will definitely be adding some taco seasoning, and possibly more tomatoes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

38 Weeks

End of a Busy Week!

More Baby Movement?